Credit Fonder Franco-Canadien

Established 1880

Loans on City Property

Improved Farms For Sale

J. K. LYLE, Manager

Company’s Building, 10275 Jasper Avenue,

Telephones: GArden 2-1145; GArden 2-1146; GArden 2-1147

EDMONTON, ALBERTA

Directory Advertising

Pays

BECAUSE IT REACHES MORE PEOPLE AT LESS EXPENSE THAN ANY OTHER MEDIUM

Think It Over

The Classified Section of this Directory Will Prove Invaluable to you Consult its Pages

Ex LIBRIS

UNIVERSITATIS

ALBERT/ENSIS

PARTS?

Contractors Equipment and Parts

LTD.

ROSS GAINER, President

We Buy and Sell “PARTS” and Equipment Units for Salvage

Caterpillar Tractors, Brush Cutters, Pilers, Power Shovels,

Draglines and All Types of Heavy Duty Equipment

Rock Crushers, Vibrating Screens and Conveyors, Industrial and Mining Equipment, Air Compressors, Water Pumps, etc., Transportation Trailers, Hydraulic Hoists, Dump Bodies and Winches

Phone GArden 2-6053

9674 - 99A Street EDMONTON, Alberta

Canada Permanent Mortgage Corporation

Your Savings Earn More When Invested in Canada Permanent Debentures Enquire as to rate.

A. A. MORE, Manager

10126— 100th St. Edmonton Ph. G Arden 2-2131

Serving Canadians for 105 Years

“Friendly and Courteous Service”

The

Canada Permanent Trust Company

Consult us about your Will

Estates Administered - Properties Managed

Safety Deposit Boxes to Rent

10126— 100th St. Telephone GArden 2-2131

A. A. MORE, Manager

UNIVERSITY LIBRARY UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA

H.M.LEvans&Company

Limited

Financial Agents

Dealers in Government, Municipal and High Grade Securities

City Property, Farm Lands, Loans, Rentals, Trust Investments

Automobile Financing All branches of Insurance

CITY AGENTS For

Canadian Indemnity Company of Winnipeg Canada Security Assurance Co.

Employer’s Liability Assurance Corp. of London, England Guardian Assurance Co. Ltd. of London, England The Guardian Insurance Co. of Canada Merchants' and Traders’ Assurance Co.

Pearl Assurance Co. Ltd. of London, England The American Insurance Company of Newark, N.J.

The Prudential Assurance Company Ltd. of England The Canadian Surety Company Sun Insurance Office Limited

Representing:

British Alberta Investors Ltd.

Hemevans Investments Limited

Loan Agents for Sovereign Life Assurance Company

Telephone GArden 4-8127 (Exchange)

302 C.P.R. Building

4 in 10

Over forty per cent, of your customers move each year and new ones move into your district. An advertise¬ ment in the City Direc¬ tory will enable new customers in your dis¬ trict to find you.

Henderson Directories Ltd.

More People than Cooking With

GAS!”

It’s the COOL - CLEAN, MODERN FUEL

EVER

are

THERE’S been a big change in gas ranges over the past few years.

Never before have so many important improvements been incor¬ porated into a major household appliance.

Now every burner lights automatically. Now you have a fully automatic top burner control. Now you can take automatic clock controlled cooking for granted. The smokeless separate broiler is still an exclusive GAS RANGE feature and today’s gas ranges have modern styling to satisfy the most demanding taste.

Gas Appliances are Sold, Serviced and Guaranteed in Edmonton by—

Northwestern Utilities, Limited

In The Milner Bldg. - 10040 - 104 St. Phone GArden 4-0281

REAL ESTATE

S. L. MELTON President

Complete Real Estate Coverage

EDMONTON

CALGARY

RED DEER VANCOUVER

FROM EDMONTON TO THE COAST

MELTON’S OFFER THE MOST!

Residential - Commercial - Business Industrial Property - Lease Backs Appraisals - Insurance Property Management - Rentals

USE OUR Trade-In Plan CANADA’S LARGEST REALTOR

Phone GA 4-7221 Phone Main Office 10154 - 103 St.

MELTON

REAL ESTATE

Henderson's

GREATER

EDMONTON

Directory

1960

COMPRISING A COMPLETE STREET AND AVENUE GUIDE, A DIRECTORY OF HOUSEHOLDERS AND HOMEOWNERS OF THE CITY AND ADJOINING DISTRICTS, AN ALPHABETICALLY ARRANGED LIST OF BUSINESS HOUSES, PROFESSIONAL MEN AND PRIVATE CITIZENS AND

CLASSIFIED BUSINESS DIRECTORY AND BUYERS’ GUIDE

MEMBER OF

VOL. LV

VOL. LV

Sold on Subscription Only

Compiled and Published by

Henderson Directories Limited

419 McMillan Avenue, Winnipeg 13, Man.

Copyright, Canada, 1960, by Henderson Directories Limited

Introductory

The present volume for 1960 is the 55th edition of Henderson’s Directory of Edmonton. The work embodies a complete epitome of the civic, commercial, social and industrial interests and activities of the municipality. It is a modern Directory in all parts and includes all the essential features which have proven so satisfactory to our patrons in previous issues; these have been retained and amplified, and improvements have been added as suggested by experience in order to add to the value and usefulness of the Directory thus fully meeting the requirements of patrons; the approbation and continued patronage accorded the work are constant incentives to better service.

The publication has had the benefit and advantage of the complete organization and resources of the publishers, and of the skill and experience of their corps of enumerators and compilers added to the courteous co-operation of citizens, in the production of the volume.

THE DEPARTMENT OF MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION starting on page 11 contains information about Civic History and Industry, as well as a complete list of Apartment and Business Blocks.

THE STREET AND AVENUE GUIDE starting on page 25 features the names of all streets and avenues arranged alphabetically and numerically, giving the location, number on the street, and showing the occupant.

The intersecting streets are shown in the order that they come.

A Denotes that there is a Telephone in the house.

* Denotes that someone living in the house is the owner.

THE ALPHABETICAL LIST OF NAMES of citizens, business firms and corporations starts on page 225.

THE CLASSIFIED BUSINESS DIRECTORY at the back of the book exhibits the various manufacturing, mercantile and profes¬ sional names, compiled under headings appropriate to the class of industry or profession followed.

GREATER EDMONTON POPULATION, in excess of 327,000

The Directory estimate of population is based on the Dominion Census of June 1956 of 248,949 with correction estimated to date. The Edmonton Directory covers considerable territory beyond but tributary to the city limits, which is canvassed in order that the names of all people employed or who purchase in Edmonton may be obtained.

ADVERTISING EDMONTON

An important function of the Directory is to set forth the characteristics and advantages of the city as a place of residence, as a business location, as an industrial site, and as an educational centre. The Directory acts as a mirror, reflecting all that is noteworthy in the city in the above respects. In order to spread this information regarding the city broadcast over the country, the publishers have placed copies of this issue of the Directory in the directory libraries, where they are readily available for reference use by the public. There they serve as perpetual advertisements for business men the country over realize that the City Directory represents the com¬ munity as it really is.

The publishers take this opportunity of thanking the citizens for valuable assistance rendered in the way of furnishing information concerning themselves, their friends and their business interests for this Directory, and also the public-spirited and progressive business and professional men for support given in the way of patronage.

Respectfully,

The Publishers,

August, 1960. HENDERSON DIRECTORIES LIMITED.

PUBLISHERS' NOTE

The information in this directory is gathered by an actual house to house canvass, and is compiled in a way to insure maximum accuracy.

The Publishers cannot and do not guarantee the correctness of all information furnished them nor the complete absence of errors and omissions, hence no responsibility for same can be or is assumed.

The Publishers earnestly request the bringing to their attention of any inaccuracy so that it may be corrected in the next Directory.

HENDERSON DIRECTORIES LIMITED,

PUBLISHERS.

10

EDMONTON

Canada’s Oil Centre and Capital of the Province of Alberta

r.I

STATISTICAL INFORMATION

(By Courtesy Edmonton Chamber of Commerce)

POPULATION

Edmonton’s papulation, as of May, 1960, was 269,314, while the papulation of Greater Edmonton, including Jasper Place, Beveirly and the fringes was over 327,000.

AIRPORT

The Airport comprises 750 acres, With 3 on, e-mile long concrete runways, 16 hangars, 200 small buildings, and employs over 1,000 people.

ALTITUDE

2, .182 feet; in the river valley 2,046 feet.

HOSPITALS

8 with 3,869 beds.

HOTELS

33 hotels with 2,371 rooms.

LIBRARIES

PJ lOI ■v ' Tifrv it? a ' v o/nii

:;-rm e-gitBti't ;?* tiJi-f/ rr:-i ifw

One public library and four branches, and twp Bopkrnobiles.

NEWSPAPERS

1 daily and 8 others.

APARTMENTS AND BLOCKS

Over 1,000.

AREA

56.4 square miles.

BANK CLEARINGS

il950< $1,205,326,649 OL 95 1 1,332,219,273 I952r— 1,6210,472,361

1953— 1,807,431,056

1954— 1,8115,880,307

1955— $8,021,968,301

1956 2,327,972,456

1957— 2,3110,121,028

1958— 2,313,536,430

1959 2,344,1 8i3,9'87

BUILDING PERMITS

1944— $ 5,759,105

1945— 7,988,348

1946— 15,020,453

1947 113,182,665 19,48 217,122,329

1949— 40,050,063

1950— 46,579,372 T9 51 36,394,684

1952 $ 37,066,526

1953— 55,023,816

1954 68,329,7il6

1955— 58,718,696

1956— 69,406,025 11957 64,344,758

1958— 72,517,14 4

1959 70,907,538

CHURCHES

258 representing practically all denominations, including a Mohammedan Mosque.

CITY STATISTICS

382 miles of paved streets; gravelled 564; oiled roads 45.

821 miles of sidewalks.

860 miles of water mains.

891 miles of sewers.

EDUCATIONAL

40 Elementary Schools.

33 Elementary-Junior High Schools.

2 Junior High Schools.

5 Senior High Schools these are administered by Edmonton Public School Board.

9 Colleges and University of Alberta.

42 Separate Schools administered by the Separate School Board.

FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS

6 'Chartered Barks, with 75 branches.

10 T)rust Companies; 15 Doan Companies.

5 Alberta Treasury Branches.

FIRE DEPARTMENT-

37 pieces of equipment.

9 'Stations staffed by a personnel of 295, operated on the 3-platoon system.

FORM OF GOVERNMENT

The City of Edmonton is governed by a Mayor and ten Aldermen and by two City Commissioners.

GOLF COURSES

7 (5 Private and 2 Public Courses)

NATURAL GAS

Proven natural gas reserves rose from 4.6 trillion cubic feet in 11950, to cover 27.7 trillion cubic feet in 1952.

PARKS AND PLAYGROUNDS

3,720 acres, including playing grounds, parks, tot lots, etc. : -

POLICE DEPARTMENT

One main station and two sub-stations; staffed by 430 officers

and men, 40 civilian

employees, 64

radio-equipped mobile

units.

POPULATION (Greater Edmonton)

11900 .

4,000

1951 (Dom. Census)....

173,075

1906 .

. 14,000

1952 . .

185,000

1931 .

. 58,827

1953 .

200,000

1925 .

. 65,385

77,557

1954 .

217,387

230,000

1930 .

1955 . . .

1935 .

. 81,261

1956 (Dom. Census)....

248,949

1941 (Dom. Census)...,

97,842

1957 .

262,060

1945 .

. 111,745

.1958 .

282,000

1946 (Dom. Census)....

, 112,116

1959 . .

302,000

1950 .

, 160,0'00

1960 .

327,151

TAXABLE ASSESSMENT

,194<3— $ 59,051,2155

1944 69,924,660

11945 , 73,593,500

195.2— $179,2:67,230 1953 180,703,740 11915-4 198,774,1110

11914,6—, 77, 248,2)15

a,

1955 232,258^00

1947 83,376,715

1948 90,834,775

1949— 100,367,870

1 9'5'9 * 120,413,310

1956 255,293,650

1957— 272,016,350 195,8 291,377,370 1959— 311,820,740

11951 124,4116,570

1960 32.9, 190, 050

TAX RATE

63 mills

tl

CITY PLANNING DEPARTMENT

Created in 1949 for the City of Edmonton and has a staff of 40 members. This is the central Civile Department around wh?cli resolves all problems of overall City Planning approach, pfofee^ dure, method, initiation, plans and general adm iritis tratibft ‘hf City Planning function.

TRANSPORTATION (Edmonton Transit System)

93 trolley buses and 115 diesel, propane and others.

THEATRES

21 Theatres. 5 Drive-In Theatres.

UTILITY CONNECTIONS

' . A’

76,433 electric meters 68,640 gas meters lil9,066 telephones 59,00'6 water meters

11

Miscellaneous Information

(By Courtesy Edmonton Chamber of Commerce)

In 1954, Edmonton celebrated its 50th Birthday as a City; while 1955 was the 50th Birthday for the Province of Alberta, its Jubilee year.

Modern Edmonton began in 1871, when the Rev. Geo. McDougall, a Methodist Missionary, built his mission outside the palisades of old Fort Edmonton, on the present site of what is now McDougall United Church. The history of the capital city of the Province of Alberta began in 1794, when the Hudson’s Bay Company and the North West Fur Company built rival trading posts on the Saskatchewan River, about twenty-five miles below the present site of the City. These forts were destroyed by the Blood Indians in 1807, and rebuilt in 1808, but very little is known of the history of Fort Edmonton between that time and when Fort Edmonton was established on its present site, in 1819. Some years later Chief Factor John Rowand was placed in charge and built the largest establishment west of York Factory, with stockades twenty feet high, complete with bastions and cannon, Which became known as “Rowands Folly,” but which, nevertheless, was the trading centre for the vast Saskatchewan and Athabasca vall-eys.

In the years which followed, Fort Edmonton was visited by Sir George Simpson, Governor of the Company of Gentlemen Adventurers Trading into Hudson’s Bay, Who was implored by the Blackfeet Chiefs to “grant that their horses might always be swift, that the buffalo might abundantly abound, and that their women might live long and always look young.” Other visitors included Paul Kane, famous Cana¬ dian artist; Captain John Palliser and James Hector, of the Palliser Expedition, looking for a railway pass through the Rocky Mountains; Lord Milton and Dr. Cheadle, on behalf o>f the Royal Geographical Society; and in 1872, Sanford Fleming, C.E., with his party, reached Edmonton on the first trans-continental railway survey via the Yellow Head Pass.

Edm’onton is beautifully situated on the banks of the North Sask¬ atchewan River, in the midst of rich, rolling evergreen country and is surrounded by a populous community carrying on mixed farming on small acreages. To the northwest is the Peace River Country, the last great hinterland of agricultural and mineral resources, well- known for its prize-winning drops and its success in world grain com¬ petitions. But Edmonton’s trading territory extends beyond the Peace River Country, into the Yukon Territory and right into Alaska. To serve the community of Yellowknife and the Northwest Territories, the Mackenzie Highway has been jointly constructed by the Govern¬ ment of the Province of Alberta and the Dominion of Canada, to haul supplies for this vast area to Hay River, to be taken across Great Slave Lake by boat and barge, or hauled, in winter, by tractor train across the ice.

LOCATION AND ADVANTAGES

Edmonton (latitude 53-35; longitude tltf-SO) is located 318 miles north of the boundary between Montana and Alberta; 200 miles east of the Rocky Mountains; 770 miles from Vancouver, via the Canadian National Railways and Jasper; 840 miles on the Canadian Pacific Rail¬ way via Banff and Calgary; and about 800 miles west of Winnipeg.

It is the commercial and financial centre of 75,000 square miles of territory, rapidly increasing in population and wealth, and con¬ taining at the present time over 600,000 people, distributed on the farms and in the towns and villages of Central and Northern Alberta, with the centre of population for the province about forty miles to the south. Population of the Province is 1,200,000.

The City is also an important highway centre. A good highway, completely hard surfaced exists from Edmonton to Jasper PaTk, 248 miles to the west, thence via the famous Sunwapta Highway, or the Banff-Jasper Highway as it is more commonly known, to Lake Louise and Banff. The widely publicised Alaska Highway, over 1,600 miles in length from Dawson Creek, British Columbia, to Whitehorse and Fairbanks, has highway connection with the City. Since the Alaska Highway was taken over by Canada it has been kept open the year- round, and thousands of tourists, not to mention freight trucks and buses are continuously plying its entire length.

The completion of the Whitecourt-Valleyview cut-off, late in 1955, shortened the distance between Edmonton and Dawson Creek by about eighty miles.

HOTELS AND ACCOMMODATION

The City has numerous hotels, motels, auto courts, apartment houses and private boarding houses catering to every class of tourist and traveller.

PARKS AND RECREATION

Edmonton has plenty of places of interest, both within and with¬ out its borders. The social side of life sports and recreation Is fostered by many organizations and clubs, and the Recreation Com¬ mission, a civic body, is charged with handling sports within the City parks and playgrounds, where trained instructors are on duty night and day during the summertime. The seating capacity of Clarke Stadium has been greatly increased to provide for present and future requirements for football, soccer, and tracks events, while contiguous to the Stadium grounds are softball grounds. Professional baseball devotees patronizing Renfrew Park.

The principal parks are; Victoria, 200 acres, lying on the river flats; Riverside, 100 acres, beautifully situated in Queen Elizabeth Park; Borden, 50 acres, containing the City Zoo; and Exhibition Grounds, 80 acres. South Side Athletic Park of 10 acres and White Mud Park of over 200 acres; Coronation Park in north-western area is to be developed.

A start has been made on a new Zoo in Laurier Park. The site will comprise 100 acres on the north side parallel to the river. When completed the Zoo will be one of Canada’s finest. The children’s Zoo, a part of the over-all project, is now open.

The moving picture houses give the public the best and latest shows; while those interested in amateur theatricals find full scope for their talents.

The Annual Edmonton Exhibition draws thousands of visitors. Breedens of livestock from all over Canada, and many States, are regular exhibitors.

Golf Courses

Devotees of the royal and ancient game of golf find in Edmonton a perfect setting for their favorite outdoor sport. The bright, pleas¬ ant days of spring and summer with their long twilight evenings, pro¬ vide ideal golfing even after the business of the day Is over.

The privately-owned Edmonton Golf and Country Club course oc¬ cupies a commanding situation on the banks of the Saskatchewan River, some eight miles south-west of the City, in close proximity to the Woodbend oil field.

Mayfair Golf Club too is privately owned aud is situated in the valley of the Saskatchewan River, just below and beyond the Univer¬ sity of Alberta,

The Highlands Course, also privately owned, is situated in the eastern section of the City, al'ong the winding banks of the Saskat¬ chewan.

The Municipal Golf Course, in Victoria Park, is one of the beauty spots of Edmonton. On the one hand rises the green slopes of the valley, and on the other, the Saskatchewan River winds through tree- clad banks. The valley curves with the bends of the river, the whole forming a natural amphitheatre fit spot for a city’s playgrounds.

The City has opened Riverside Golf Course acclaimed as one of the finest in the country, 18 holes and one of the finest log Club Houses seen in Western Canada, occupies 1/60 acres in the most beau¬ tiful scenery in Saskatchewan River Valley Within one mile of the Macdonald Hotel.

Hillorest Country Club, privately owned, which consists of twenty-six aares, located on tlhe river flats in the western area of the City, is being developed to take care of such sporting activities as riding, swimming, archery and the like.

Municipal Swimming Pools

Edmonton is well-equipped for safe out-door bathing. Four modem swimming pools, together With a wading pool for small fry, are in operation during the spring, summer and autumn months, each in charge of a qualified instructor. The water is filtered, heated and sterilized and bacterial tests are regularly made by the City Bac¬ teriologists.

12

NATURAL GAS

Edmonton has an abundant supply of natural gas, supplied to householders at the lowest rate on the North American continent, sufficient for at least fifty years, according to present estimates, for both householder and industry. The present sources of supply are piped to the Oity from the Viking and KinjseJla fields, about eighty miles east. Edmonton consumers domestic, commercial and indus¬ trial, number over 68,000.

CENTRE OF TRANSPORTATION

Edmonton is the centre of transportation for Alberta, from which radiates a network of railway lines extending northwesterly into the Peace River area, and northeasterly to Waterways, as well as east¬ ward and westward to the borders of the province, and southward through a rich agricultural farming area. Transcontinental lines of the Canadian National Railway pass through the City, and the Cana¬ dian Pacific Railway makes contact with many points through which the transcontinental lines of that company pass.

The Airways development of the continent has brought the City into prominence as one of the strategic centres of air transportation. C.P.A. Trans-Polar Flights now stop at Edmonton en route to Amster¬ dam. The great north country is provided with regular freight and passenger schedules by Canadian Pacific Air Lines. A number of charter aircraft companies also are based in the City. North West Air Lines planes also make Edmonton a port-of-call on their way to Alaska, and Western now make Edmonton their northern terminal.

Edmonton has a Class “A” airport, equipped with modern concrete runways and capable of handling large aircraft, located within five minutes’ drive from the heart of down-town Edmonton. At Namao, seven miles north, Is one of the largest military airports on the con¬ tinent.

The new international airport being built at Nisku, 1*5 miles south of the city will be operational this year usling a temporary terminal building. With jet aircraft of the future in mind, runways will be over 10,000 feet in length. When fully operational it will be the third largest airport in Canada.

EDMONTON CHAMBER OF COMMERCE

The Chamber is this year celebrating its 71st year of community service, and its membership of over 1,750 is comprised of professional, industrial, commercial and agricultural interests. Information on all matters relating to the resources of the district, business opportuni¬ ties, and general (information of all kinds, is freely given by a com¬ petent staff, located at 9905 101A Ave.

EDMONTON INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPEMENT BOARD

With representatives from the City Council, the Edmonton Cham¬ ber of Commerce and City at large, and spear-headed by the City’s Industrial Director, the Board has been s'et up for the purpose of as¬ sisting and attracting new industries. Complete information is avail¬ able to all enquirers regarding markets, costs of operation, taxes, and kindred material.

WHOLESALE AND JOBBING CENTRE

The key position of Edmonton on the map of the northwest makes it an important distributing point for a large territory: From the ear¬ liest times, it was a natural trading centre in the days of the fur trade, it w*ais the principal point west of Winnipeg on the navigation on the North Saskatchewan River. F'rom Old Fort Edmonton via Fort Assiniboine, the goods for the Hudson’s Bay posts west of the Rocky Mountains were regularly despatched.

RETAIL SHOPS

As befits a City serving so large a community, Edmonton’s retail stores are large, numerous and well-stocked. They vie with thous¬ ands of larger and older cities in the display of things new and beau¬ tiful. They range from big departmental stores to the small specialty shops. In keeping with the City’s growth, local shopping centres are developing designed as a grouped unit in various new residential Neighbourhood Units together with large planned district shopping centres midway in function between the local centres and the general large, central downtown shopping area. Off-street parking facilities are a prime requisite in the design of such centres and these are being achieved as integral parts of alll new Shopping centres both local and district, in this City.

Today Edmonton holds an analogous position in the trade of Western Canada. Besides many independent local firms, the number of wholesale houses includes branches of the most important firms of Eastern Canada and the United States, representing every branch of mercantile trading.

INDUSTRIES

The vast supplies of raw materials available in the area adjacent to Edmonton and its central location for distribution, makes Edmon¬ ton a key city for industrial expansion. Dairy and meat packing in¬ dustries are firmly established and rank amongst the top in Canada. Garment factories, iron foundries, flour and cereal mills, candy and biscuit plants, beverage and soft drinks are but a few of the indus¬ trial lines represented here. The availability of coal and natural gas, as economical fuel, make Edmonton a favorite location for those con¬ templating establishing industries in Western Canada.

Because of this Edmonton faces a prosperous future for indus¬ tries of the Petrro-Chemicajl Classification. The Celanese Corporation, known locally as Canadian Chemicals Ltd., has completed its fifty million dollar plant and has an ever-expanding market available. Canadian Industries Ltd., has just commenced operations in their new Polythene Flake Plant and there are many Industrial concerns wait¬ ing to process the waste products of these plants into commercial products.

Three oil refineries are now operated by the Imperial Oil Ltd., The British American Oil Co. Ltd., and Texaco (Canada) Ltd., and two of which have spent many millions in expansion programs.

Among new industries established are a steel rolling mill, steel fabricating plant, cement plant, and a cement-grinding plant, glass and polychemical plants, plywood plants, phenolic resins producing plants, not to mention the pulp and paper mill constructed at Hinton about 1/80 mi'les west of Edmonton.

AGRICULTURE

Edmonton is the centre of the largest area of agricultural land of any city in Canada. In the outlying districts much of the land is still in the raw state, but i's gradually being brought under cultivation. The finest quality of wheat, oats, barley and peas are grown, with Edmon¬ ton District farmers making a name for themselves and the area by their winnings at the Chicago International Grain and Hay Show; in fact, in 1941, the Grand Championship for wheat was awarded to a farmer, part of whose acreage was within the City limits.

A Grain Centre

Edmonton is the centre of the grain trade for Central and North¬ ern Alberta. A Government Terminal Elevator has storage capacity for 2,560,000 bushels, and most of the important grain companies of Western Canada are represented on the Edmonton grain market.

Edmonton Livestock Yards

One of the public terminal livestock markets of Canada is located in Edmonton, and operated under government supervision.

Dairying

Agriculture in the Edmonton District is developing rapidly along mixed farming lines, and a wealth of farms in the area supply butter- fat to the four large, modern dairies which export butter, cheese and other dairy products. The City is also the export centre for dehy¬ drated eggs and poultry.

FUEL

Coal

A substantial part of Alberta’s tremendous coal reserves of 46^2 billion tons, by far the largest part of Canada’s undeveloped coal re¬ sources, is contained in the Edmonton area.

Oil And Asphalt

The discovery of oil west of Leduc, in February, 1947, and about twenty miles southwest of the City, and the vast developments which are taking place, day by day, with many allied companies to the in¬ dustry already having established in Edmonton, is changing Edmon-

13

ton’s economic outlook. In addition to Lieduc and Woodbend, across the Saskatchewan River from the Leduc productive field, oil was dis¬ covered in th'e fall of 1 9 4 S at Redwater, thirty-five miles northeast of the City, and present indications are that oil underlies the whole of the area. Close to 9,2-50 wells were capable of producing- oil at the end of 1959. Vast new areas are being opened up, with some 1,900 produc¬ ing wells in the Pembina area; 460 in Joarcajn; 900 in Leduc; with the Sturgeon Lake area being served by a pipe line. Known oil reserves are calculated to be 2 ^ billion barrels. Exploratory and development work is being carried out by major Canadian oil companies, with ever- increasing interest by American concerns. Oil now flows from the E&moiUon area to Sarnia, Ont., and westward to the Pacific Coast, "tvhrl^d gas pip£ line is b'dntemplated to Eastern Canada.

for/. Two hundred and fifty miles north of Edmonton, in the vicinity of McMurray, ..there is a vast area of bituminous sands, largely un¬ developed, and whose economic value ils as yet unproven. However, a number of newn companies anticipate going into the field this year.

SALT

Tributary to Edmonton are vast salt deposits, with beds 100 to 200 feet thick. At Elk Point;, about a hundred miles north-east of the •City, a large plant ; is in operation.

FISHERIES

;,;Th’0 firesJl: .wat£E ;• lakes- . or -U\e Edmonton District and the North abound in whitrefish, trout and other commercial fish, and a large quantity is. being shipped to American cities finding a ready market there-.

Ls.t* ,’i in: L- .

LUMBERING

S/t >5j "JTrl ■■■-.■ .-s .

Lumbering is carried on in the outlying areas, and provides seas¬ onal employment for large numbers of Alberta citizens.

EDUCATION

X\J'* Edmonton, the capital city of the Province of Alberta, is not only the seat of the provincial government, but is also the home of the University of Alberta, which in 1960 had an enrolment of 5,703. The •medical, engineering, and agricultural faculties of the University have received country-wide recognition and the medical school has been the •recipient of endowments from the Rockfeller and Carnegie Founda¬ tions. The City is 'well-supplied with elementary, intermediate and high schools, both for Protestants and Roman Catholics. A number of commercial high sdhools come under the jurisdiction of the School Boards, and several privately-owned and operated business colleges -^y^-.Wgfiged .in t.iirn-j.P'g out commercial students.

XVtOJXlM* J ..-irtv.. ;•£.< ,

SOCIAL AMENITIES

Libraries

The City has ... 3 , branches, and 1 main library, containing 182,000 volumes. Two Bus Bookmobiles have been equipped as travelling libraries to serve outlying districts, Which have over 25,000 volumes on their shelves, making 28 book stops through the City.

fcftoIjSThb Provincial Library* situated in the Parliament Buildings, is -rk;fcL’ in ’.Wpgks and: documents relating to the early history of Western ‘.Canadavd? ,:e;L;c s t; . ..

*■

Libraries are also maintained in the School of Education and the University of Alberta, namely the Rutherford Library, which contains 120,000 volumes for the use and reference of students at these insti¬ tutions.

HOSPITALS

* Ed m on ton tgi p os it i'on as. a meal cal centre is o ne of nD mean pro- portions: It ha;^-«ightL.hospltals with a total of 3,869 beds with 2,364 beds for active treatment-attracting specialists in every branch of medicine and surgery, who, in turn attract thousands of patients to the City from the surrounding areas. Among the hospitals are the Royal Alexandra and Isolation (municipally owned), the General, m.pe/rated by the Qr.ey Nuns, the Mi-serioordia, by the Sisters of the

tlie Sis, tors p’f Proyidence, and the Univer¬ sity, .-Hospital . gilder, the direction of the Provincial Government. In addition, therie .• is :: ;^l branch of, the Provincial Mental Institute and a special hospital, operated by the Provincial Health Department, for

victims of infantile paralysis, not to mention special treatment in the Aberhart Memorial Hospital for tuberculosis patients. The Colonel Mewburn Pavilion of the University Hospital, has accommodation for members of the Armed Forces.

Last year a large new extension was made to University Hospital, while the Misericordia and St. Joseph’s recently completed new addi¬ tions. The City had constructed a new maternity hospital of 112 beds, and th'e Oliver Mental Institute is in process of adding a further 100 beds.

CITY GOVERNMENT

Edmonton is governed by a Council of ten aldermen, elected for two years, one-half retiring each year, presided over by a Mayor, also elected for a two-year term, and a Board of three Commissioners, one of whom is the Mayor.

MUNICIPAL OWNERSHIP

Edmonton owns and operates all the public utilities of the City light, power, telephone, waterworks, transit system, and airport, with the exception of Natural Gas. The principle of public ownership has been firmly adhered to by the people of the City since the purchase of the electric light system in 1902, when the then town of Edmonton made its first venture upon this policy, which has proven quite ►suc¬ cessful.

ELECTRIC POWER PLANT

Electricity is generated by steam produced in a boiler plant, fired by Edmonton district coal and gas.

The power plant supplies electrical energy to all the City’s other utilities, such as waterworks, sewage disposal plant, Edmonton Transit and Telephone systems, as well as to the electric light and power de¬ partment for domestic and commercial distribution.

WATERWORKS

Due to turbidity at high water periods, all water, pumped from the Saskatchewan River, for domestic and industrial purposes is fil¬ tered and sterilized before being forced into the city mains. Low-lift pumps, with a capacity of 54,000,000 gallons per day, raise the water from th'e river to a mechanical clarifier basin, Where sediment is re¬ moved. Thence the water flows into agitator tanks, to which the proper amount of sulphate of alumina is added, forming aluminum hydrate. The water then flows into large shilling basins, where the hydrate coagulates all the sediments and deposits them on the bottom of the basin. Now the water is ready for filtering through sand and gravel beds, which remove all traces of foreign matter and most of ,the bacteria (if present). Before the water is sent by high lift pumps into the mains, it is treated with liquid chlorine in quantities propor¬ tioned to bacterial tests, which >are made daily. By using such means the water supply is clear and pure. A number of years ago it was considered desirable that water for city requirements be softened and a 75 p.p.m. lime and soda ash treatment is now used.

EDMONTON TRANSIT SYSTEM

The street railway system commenced operations in November, .1908, with twelve miles of track and two cars. A program of conver¬ sion of street cars to trolley buses and gas buses was completed in ,1951 with tihe attendant removal of street car tracks and additional heavy paving at bus stops. In addition to the trolley buses, diesel, propane and gas buses serve the outlying areas. Some 30,000,00u persons are carried each year by the System.

TELEPHONES

Edmonton embarked in the telephone business in January, 1905, by purchasing the Edmonton District Telephone Company. In 1&08 the Stirowger Automatic System was installed and 800 subscribers cut over from the old magneto switchboard. During the war ydars, there was great difficulty in procuring sufficient equipment to meet the City’s growing needs, but now that supplies are freer, installations are rapidly going ahead, and subscribers now number nearly 120,000.

In 1951 the complete system was changed over to the DiabTone technique and there are now 6 telephone exchanges, including the main exchange.

University of Alberta

VISITOR

The Hon. John Pe/rcy Page, Lt. -Governor of Alberta.

THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS

Charles Malcolm Macleod, Q.C., L.L.B., L.L.D., Chairman His Honour Judge Laurence Yeomans Cairns, B.A., L.L.D., Chancellor of the University.

Walter H. Johns, B.A., Ph.D., L.L.D., President of the University. Frederick George Stewart, E-sq., Deputy Provincial Treasurer. William Herbert Swift, B.A., M.A., B.Ed., Ph.D.,

Deputy Minister of Education.

Samuel Robert Rogers, B.Sc., President of the Alumni Association. Mrs. W. C. Taylor.

Haughton Gimby Thomson, B.Com., C.A., Vice-President of the Alumni Association.

Hon. Mr. Justice Hugh John Macdonald.

John Procter, Esq.

Me.rrill D. Muttart, Esq.

Nathan Eldon Tanner, Esq.

Arnold William Platt B.Sc., M.Sc., F.A.I.C.

John Maclean Whidden, B.Com., Bursar, Secretary of the Board.

THE SENATE Statutory Members

His Honour Judge Laurance Yeomans Cairns, B.A., LL.D., Chancellor of the University.

Walter H. Johns, B.A., Ph.D., L.L.D., President.

Charles Malcolm Macleod, Q.C., LL.B., LL.D., Chairman of the Board of Governors.

Arthur Gilbert McCalla, M.Sc., Ph.D., F.R.S.C.,

Representative of the Deanes’ Council.

Edmund Jabez Thompson, M.A., B.D., Ph.D.,

Principal of St. Stephen’s College.

Brother Prudent, B.A., B.Paed., M.A., Rector of St. Joseph’s College Timothy Clarke Byrne, M.A., Ed.D., Chief Superintendent of Schools.

Ernest William Wood, M.E.I.C., Principal, Provincial Institute of Technology and Art.

Rev. William John Collett, B.A., B.Ed., B.D., M.A., Principal, Mount Royal Junior College.

iSamuel Robert Rogers, B.Sc., President of the Alumni Association. Haughton Gimby Thomson, B.Com., C.A., Vice-President of the Alumni Association.

George Murray Dunlop, B.A., M.A., Ph.D. and Hugh Grayson-Smith M.B.E., B.A., Ph.D., F.R.S.C., Representatives of the General Faculty Council.

Darrooh Duncan Campbell, B.Com., B.A., Director,

Dept, of Extension.

Alexander Frederick McCalla, President of the Students' Union.

Appointed Members to retire November 1st, 1960

J. Angus McKinnon, Calgary and Maurice Earl Hartnett, B.S.A., representing Agriculture.

Arthur J. Balfour, representing Business.

Robert Scott, Calgary, representing Labour.

George Richard Agar Rice, Edmonton, representing Industry.

Miss Mary Roberta Crawford, M.A., Edmonton and

Mrs. Catherine Andrews, Lethbridge and

Robert Warren, Calgary representing Public Education.

William B. Parsons, M.D., Red